This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclaimer for more information
Calzones are members of the Pizza family
Yup, just in case you didn’t know. Of course there’s regular pizza, deep dish, stuffed crust, pizza breadsticks, square (it’s actually Detroit style but I didn’t differentiate between deep dish and Chicago) and there’s calzones. (I felt a little like Bubba in Forest Gump when they were cleaning the bathroom floor right then). Calzones are like the hand pie of pizzas. Very easy to make..take some pizza dough, make a circle, put on some toppings, fold it over and bake. Well, there’s a little more to it than that, which I will show you now.
I’m going to make a Chicken Bacon Pesto Calzone. It so delicious and when you cut it open, out spills the goodness all of those yummy toppings. You can use almost anything to stuff a Calzone, this is one of the pizza’s I was going to do but thought it might work well as a Calzone (and it did)
- The best recipe for Pizza Dough
- Preheat the oven to 500+ if using a pizza stone or 420 for a regular pizza pan
- Pesto: You can use homemade but I used Classico Basil Pesto from a jar. It’s really, really good.p
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Sliced Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (you can also use Roma, I used what I had on hand
- Chopped cooked chicken
- 1 TBSP of melted butter with a little garlic powder in it
- 1 TBSP of shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese (You’ll notice in the pictures I didn’t show it…..I forgot to add it but it’s really really good with it)
- Parchment paper (or lightly oiled pan) I used my pizza stone to cook it, so made it on parchment so I could slide it into the oven.
- Take a heel of the pizza dough. About the size of an adult fist.
- Push it into a circle on the parchment paper. About the size of a small dinner plate
- Take a few large tablespoons of pesto and smear it on the crust.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese
- Take about 4 tablespoons of ricotta cheese and drop it randomly on the cheese
- Sprinkle on the chicken, tomatoes and bacon over cheeses.
- On half of the circle of dough, pull the dough a little further away, stretching it about 1/2″
- Take the opposite side of the dough and fold it over (see photos)
- Pull the extra dough over the top of the calzone, pinching it as you go so it will seal
- Brush the top with melted butter, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Cut three slits in the top with a sharp knife
- Slide it into the oven on the pizza stone.
- Cook for 10 minutes on the pizza stone, then check it to see if it’s golden brown. If using a pizza pan, cook for 15 minutes, checking at that time to see if it’s golden brown.
And there you have it. A Chicken Bacon Pesto Calzone made from the Best Pizza Dough!
Hey, send me some pictures of how your Calzones turned out, and what you put in them!! If you liked it please pin the recipe and share it!