This post contains affiliate links. Please read my Disclaimer for more information
Easy Chocolate Eclair Cake that makes you say yum
Do you ever eat a wonderfully satisfying meal and then want a little sweet to top it off? Ya, don’t I know it. I’m really not a sugary person, more of a salty. Like when I’m craving a little snack, chips, roasted pumpkin seeds or nuts is what I look for. Don’t get me wrong, if there are chocolate chips in the pantry, I’m known to take a small handful from time to time. I just went to the pantry now in search of something to snack on. The power of the mind! This easy chocolate eclair cake that makes you say yum will give you what you need!
Chocolate Eclair Cake
I was in need of a simple dessert when I had friends coming for dinner recently. I was making a selection of pizza, had a side of salad so wanted something light and satisfying. Where do I go to when I need inspiration? Yup, Pinterest. I scrolled through recipes I had pinned already and came across this nummy one and the big clincher was I had the ingredients in the house. It was on the blog , The Girl who ate Everything
It’s easy, light and not too sweet. Winner winner. I laughed because when I spread it in the pan for baking, I smoothed it nicely, not expecting at all what came out! It was like a snake was under my cake. I even checked my before photos to see if I had smoothed it that way. Nope, the Choux Pastry (pronounced shoo) has a mind of it’s own when left to it’s own devices. It behaves rather nicely when your spooning or piping it, like when you make cream puffs or eclairs. ( I learned that term, Choux Pastry, while watching the Great British Baking Show.) Here it’s just smeared. But it is light and fluffy and you can see the layers nicely.
Supplies and Directions:
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Flour
8 oz Cream Cheese
1 Lg (6 servings) Box of Instant Vanilla Pudding
3 Cups Milk
1 Cup of Whipping Cream (you can use Cool Whip if you want)
Chocolate Syrup (or Homemade Chocolate Sauce)
You’ll notice as you incorporate the eggs, the mixture will get fluffier.
Spread the Choix Pastry in the pan. Look closely, can you see how I would get this snake?
Cream Cheese and pudding layer:
If you put your bowl in the sink, it saves on clean up when whipping cream. You can also use 1 medium container of Cool Whip for this step
Photos showing layering of ingredients. Super simple, yet very elegant.
This is a simple enough dessert that even the novice cook can make it! Hint hint, you college or missionary friends of mine! Most tools to make this are found in even the basic apartment. Surprise and impress your dinner guests or friends! Enjoy!
Chocolate Eclair Cake
a Creamy “Cream Puff” in a pan
Choix Pastry (Eclair Layer)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Flour
- 4 Eggs
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese
- 1 6 serving Package of Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 3 Cups Cold Milk
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 2 TBSP Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray a 9″ x 13″ pan. Make vanilla pudding according to package directions. Chill until needed.
- In a medium saucepan on medium high heat bring butter and water to a boil. Mix in flour all at once beating with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir in eggs, one at a time beating until incorporated. Continue with each egg. It will become fluffier with each addition. Spread in 9 x 13 pan smearing it up the sides about 2 inches. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (check it about 25)
- While the eclair layer is baking in a medium bowl beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer until creamy. Fold in the vanilla pudding and set aside.
- While the eclair layer is baking in a small bowl beat the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until fluffy and stiff. Set aside
- When the eclair layer is cool, spread on cream cheese layer. Carefully spread whipped cream on top. Cool until ready to serve. Cut in squares and drizzle with chocolate syrup or sauce. Enjoy
This is a very easy recipe to follow and prepare that will dazzle your family and friends.